Subject: Re: Marketing lojban

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 15:26:00 -0000

--- In lojban@y..., Robin Turner <robin@B...> wrote:
> > Those of us in the Windoze world don't know what to do with TeX 
and its
> > relatives. The master of the draft textbook is in Microsoft 
Word, which is
> > on the website.
> 
> And those of us outside the Windoze world don't like Word 
documents, even if 
> we have something that can read them ;-) I suggest we adopt PDF 
for long 
> documents on the site, and stick to HTML for shorter stuff. PDF is 
not ideal 
> by any means, but at least it's cross-platform.

PDF is read only. If the TeX or LaTeX approaches are easy (that is, 
in a WYSIWYG way) to modify, then perhaps the nuisance of learning a 
new editor won't be a big deal. I'd vote for a format that's 
editable. Or, make both .pdf and .doc (or whatever) forms available.

The reason I bring up editability is that I frequently find the 
formatting of some web-based document to be suboptimum. Not a 
problem (to me) if it's in Word. But it's basically unreadable if 
it's in PDF format. For example, lojban.org has a short .pdf Lojban 
dictionary written with a microscopic font. It looks like a nice 
piece of work, but I'd need to tweak it before printing it -- not an 
option with .pdf.