Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: [lojban] Random lojban questions/annoyances.

From: "Robert J. Chassell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 11:18:45 -0500 (EST)

I should add, BTW, that this conclusion would contradict both Bob
Chassell's message on this point & my response to it.

That is, contra Bob, the ve djuno is not how you come to know the
se djuno but rather the body of propositions such that their truth
entails the truth= of the x2.

I look on the process of deciding whether you `know' or `apprehend'
something as an active process. So the epistemology includes not only 
the body of propositions, but also, how you got to them.

For example, according to Lakoff and Nunez, we humans come to accept
the body of propositions for mathematics because we extend
arithmetic-related fundamental experiences we have. Thus, we
experience, even before we can speak, that one doll plus two dolls is
three dolls; we extend that experience to propositions that underly
arithmetic.

Of course, in many circumstances, you leave out a good deal of
information, and in other circumstances, you don't recognize what
experience led to `knowledge'.

(The gismu that depends on people making an unexamined study of their
world is {fatci}:

x1 (du'u) is a fact/reality/truth/actuality, in the absolute 
/:/
/=/ fatci (fac)

This gismu is for people who elide; it is both dangerous and useful.)

-- 
Robert J. Chassell [email-masked]
Rattlesnake Enterprises http://www.rattlesnake.com