Subject: Re: [lojban] Linguistics study

From: "Bob LeChevalier (lojbab)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 11:45:54 -0500

At 04:36 PM 03/25/2001 +0000, [email-masked] wrote:
>I marvel at the depth of linguistic knowledge of some of this group's
>participants. Can anyone suggest some good books to give the
>linguistically-challenged among us some insight into this field? I'm
>thinking of a survey of world languages (not just European
>languages), something popular rather than academic.

They are scholarly and one is a tome, but I favor two books by Bernard Comrie

The World's Major Language (A tome of a thousand pages)

Language Universals and Linguistic Typology

The first will give you a good survey of other languages at a level 
comparable with what you can read in the list, but more comprehensive in 
covering each language.

The second is essential at grasping the diversity of languages in the world.

lojbab
--
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org