Subject: The ease of IRC

From: Value Yourself <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 18:12:39 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 27 Mar 2001, Robin wrote:

> I gave up after it told me that I needed to have Java enabled when I
> already did (I can't use IRC because of our university's firewall). I'm
> used to this nonsense from Windows-oriented sites, but found it a little
> ironic in this context.

There are plenty of text-only irc clients! But you need Java to embed an
irc client into a web page, so users don't have to be bothered with
installing stuff. For unix, there is ircii and BitchX, for instance. There
are plenty for every platform. Within 5 minutes you can find one, starting
at yahoo.

Once installed, simply point to the server irc.openprojects.net, and go to
the channel #lojban.

Right now this channel has 6 people on line! The previous #lojban, on a
different IRC network, never had this many. People seem to like this
network, and it looks like this channel is going to get a lot of use.

-----
"The trees are green, since green is good for the eyes". I agreed
with him, and added, that God had created cattle, since beef soups
strengthen man; that he created the donkey, so that it might give
man something with which to compare himself; and he had created
man, to eat beef soup and not be a donkey.