Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: [lojban] Random lojban questions/annoyances.

From: And Rosta <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 18:25:45 +0100

Bob C:
#>>> [email-masked] 03/26/01 05:18pm >>>
# I should add, BTW, that this conclusion would contradict both Bob
# Chassell's message on this point & my response to it.
#
# That is, contra Bob, the ve djuno is not how you come to know the
# se djuno but rather the body of propositions such that their truth
# entails the truth= of the x2.
#
#I look on the process of deciding whether you `know' or `apprehend'
#something as an active process. So the epistemology includes not only 
#the body of propositions, but also, how you got to them.
#For example, according to Lakoff and Nunez, we humans come to accept
#the body of propositions for mathematics because we extend
#arithmetic-related fundamental experiences we have. Thus, we
#experience, even before we can speak, that one doll plus two dolls is
#three dolls; we extend that experience to propositions that underly
#arithmetic.

If this is an example of DJUNO, what are the x2 and x4?
"I know fe [that 2 + 1 =3] because it is entailed by fo [my experience
that one doll plus two dolls makes three dolls, plus general principles
about the validity of generalizing from particulars]"?
That seems okay to me, but I'm not sure if this is the sort of thing
you had in mind.

--And.

Of course, in many circumstances, you leave out a good deal of
information, and in other circumstances, you don't recognize what
experience led to `knowledge'.

(The gismu that depends on people making an unexamined study of their
world is {fatci}:

x1 (du'u) is a fact/reality/truth/actuality, in the absolute 
/:/
/=/ fatci (fac)

This gismu is for people who elide; it is both dangerous and useful.)

-- 
Robert J. Chassell [email-masked] 
Rattlesnake Enterprises http://www.rattlesnake.com