Subject: Re: lojban audial recognition etc.

From: "seidensticker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 19:44:39 -0800

From: "A.W.T." <[email-masked]>
Subject: lojban audial recognition etc.

...

>BTW, IMHO one reason for new Lojban-interested people getting bored off and
leaving again might be long philosophical threads of the DJUNO/KRICI kind -
whereas basic vocabulary to express ourselves is still missing or at least
not at all obvious! (like: "already"/"still", "not yet"/"no longer" etc. -
Don't remember the old thread about this topic, which - as far I recall -
had no real conclusion: naza'o/za'onai ???) Shouldn't we better leave the
ivory tower and turn toward people instead of discussing "linguistic"
specialties as sort of an oblivious and eccentric navel gazing?
_________________

I agree with the concern. While it's great to see lots of email activity in
the lojban group (this month has had, by far, the largest # of postings over
the past 2.5 years), I find it cumbersome to wade through much email that
doesn't interest me. I can certainly see newcomers becoming discouraged by
irrelevant (to them) email.

What about creating another Yahoo group? There could be lojban (how to best
learn Lojban) and lojban2 (philosophical discussions and word debate).
Newcomers could sign up for the former until they're interested in
participating in the lojban2 debates.

I'm sure there's a better split into 2 or 3 groups than I've suggested
above -- any ideas?