Subject: list splitting (was: Re: lojban audial recognition etc.)

From: Jay Kominek <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 21:35:54 -0700 (MST)

> What about creating another Yahoo group? There could be lojban (how to best
> learn Lojban) and lojban2 (philosophical discussions and word debate).
> Newcomers could sign up for the former until they're interested in
> participating in the lojban2 debates.
>
> I'm sure there's a better split into 2 or 3 groups than I've suggested
> above -- any ideas?

taking traffic away from the list at this point would probably not be a
wise idea. it needs everything it can get to have a self-sustaining level
of conversation. i think the lojban list is probably only 50 or so odd
subscribers above the self-sustaining point, and distracting anyone could
have a bad impact on all list traffic.

i would strongly suggest keeping everything consolidated until the
membership on this list gets to around 350 or even 400. (yes, that will
probably mean twice the traffic or so on the list, but more is better, in
the long run. one can always delete excess traffic and then peruse the
archives later if need be. such a simple solution for creating traffic
does not exist.)

it may be wise, however, for people to start inserting some simple tags
into the subject lines, like [DEBATE], [WORD], [PHILOSOPHY] so that people
uninterested in such matters may most easily avoid them.

- Jay Kominek <[email-masked]>
Waiting Is.