Subject: Re: djuno debate (was: RE: [lojban] Random lojban questions/annoyances.)

From: And Rosta <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 12:44:29 +0100

#On Sat, Mar 24, 2001 at 10:19:12PM -0000, And Rosta wrote:
#> In that debate, which ran along similar lines to the current one,
#> the majority view, then as now, was that djuno = 'know' (and it is
#> a fact not controvertible by adducing sundry half-baked dictionary
#> 'definitions', that in all dialects of English the meaning of
#> "know" is such that if "x knows y" is true then "y" is true).
#
#I'm mostly no longer interested in this discussion, but I'd really
#appreciate it if people stopped telling me (and all my friends) that as
#a native English speaker, my 'dialect' (standard NA Engish) is invalid.

I too am disinclined to discuss it, not least because it's a separate issue
from that concerning the sense of DJUNO and the other epistemic
gismu, but let me clarify that I don't jinvi that you and your friends
speak an invalid or nonEnglish dialect; rather, I jinvi that you have
misreported the dialect of you and your friends or else that you have
misunderstood the intended definitions of pc, John, Jorge and me
and hence failed to realize that this intended definition does in fact
apply also to your dialect. (Doubtless you'll still find my actual
se jinvi objectionable, though.)

--And.