Subject: Re: Re: [lojban] project management

From: Robin Lee Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 11:23:24 -0500

On Wed, Mar 28, 2001 at 09:24:46AM +0200, Bjoern Gohla wrote:
> Robin Lee Powell wrote:
> > 
> > On Sat, Mar 24, 2001 at 03:38:04PM +0100, Bj?rn Gohla wrote:
> > > coi rodo
> > >
> > > noticing recent postings on marketing lojban, i thought perhaps it
> > > would be helpful to have an internet groupware site for project
> > > management (cf sourceforge.org )facilitating better cooperation of
> > > lojbanists on the various efforts.
> > >
> > > borrowing from the open source community we could use a cvs repository
> > > to track the progress of a project,
> > 
> > I think this is a _very_ good idea, not least because it would allow
> > people to do little bits of stuff like luvo list work or bits of hamlet
> > or whatever and
> i am glad somebody finally responded to my posting
> 
> > 1) Even that tiny bit of work would have meaning; even if it's just one
> > lujvo it's now shared with everyone.
> > 
> > 2) Everyone else could review the work.
> > 
> > If there are no online sites that would host this sort of thing, I'm
> > about 2 months from being able to host it myself (I own
> > digitalkingdom.org) and would be happy to do so if that seems to be the
> > best option.
> 
> ideally though the repository would be integrated with the existing
> website, giving it a makeover. thus keeping all the 'essential' lojban
> documents in one place. 
> 
> the plainest implementation as i see it would be running just the cvs
> pserver and webcvs (cf www.cvshome.org), farther reaching would be the
> idea of using one of the groupware suites that i suggested. though
> having tried to set up one of them on my machine at home i realized
> that this would require a lot more dedication to set up and
> maintainence (i would be happy to contribute).

I don't think integrating it with the existing web site would be a good
idea for exactly the reason you just mentioned: it's a non-trivial
operation, and lojbab does _not_ have a lot of free time. I, OTOH, do,
and I'm a UNIX admin for a living. 8)

> i clearly see the danger of feature overloaded software, some of them
> might still be desireable though, such as monitoring of who signed up
> for what , or defining project goals and tracking the participants
> assessment of how far they developed their project with respect to
> the goal ,or calendering.

<nod>

-Robin

-- 
http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/~rlpowell/ BTW, I'm male, honest.
Information wants to be free. Too bad most of it is crap. --RLP