Subject: Level 0 Package

From: Nick NICHOLAS <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 12:53:11 -0800 (PST)

.i mi nu'o cusku la'edi'e bau la lojban. .i ku'i mi ca'a lazni

Tying in with a preceding not-strictly-relevant thread, I'm letting you
know that I am taking over the task of editing and publishing the Level 0
introductory Lojban booklet, as agreed at the last Logfest. The intent was
to have something readily available for print-on-demand and online.

This means, of course, that a manipulable text format is required. The
tagset I am familiar with is TEI (www.tei-c.org), which is designed for
the marking up of literary and philological texts. Nonetheless, in the
interest of advancing my CV :-) , and given the background of people here,
I will be doing it in DocBook.

I am by avocation a Mac user --- which doesn't help much, as the Mac is
hardly a priority platform for SGML/XML apps. :-( The XML work I do for a
living, I do on NT. Furthermore, I switched from computer science to
linguistics just before I would have learned TeX; I don't know it, and haven't
got a free year to learn it. :-) This means I may need help from people in
customising the TeX/PDF output. The real fun, obviously, is going to be
customising the stylesheets, though other than introducing a Lojban font,
I'll try and keep this to a minimum.

It also seems I have undertaken to finish off Robin Turner's lessons,
which will be included in the package. I will be posting these on my
website for comment as I do them.

.i da djica lenu la jbojitro cu zukte de .inaja da ba .ei zukte de

-- 
Momenton senpretende paseman mi retenis kaj # NICK NICHOLAS.
kultis kvazaux # TLG, UCI, USA.
senhorlogxan elizeon # www.opoudjis.net
(Dume: # [email-masked]
[Victor Sadler, _Memkritiko_ 90] #