Subject: Re: [lojban] the reason for x4 of {djuno}?

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 02:45:17

la xod cusku di'e

>What if there is a dispute between two people?

What if there is? One says that Sydney is the capital of Australia,
the other claims that it is Canberra. If they share a common
epistemology they will in this case fairly quickly be able to
figure out who is right and who is wrong.

>If the realm of discussion
>is of a certain type, mathematical proofs and scientific experiments will
>break the deadlock

Right, in many cases that is how the common epistemology is
developed.

>-- although in practice, bad scientific stances often
>linger until their adherents die off and are replaced with a new
>generation of scholars.

Right. And why would we want to claim those bad scientific stances
as truths?

>But what about the disputes between Trotskyists
>and Maoists? Which is correct and which is incorrect in this One Truth
>model?

I don't know, probably neither of them. Maybe it doesn't even
make sense to say that one is correct. I don't see how it would
help to claim that each of them knows a truth which the other knows
to be false.

>And if one of them makes as assertion, doesn't it need the x4 place
>filled up?

What kind of assertion? Most assertions don't have an epistemology
x4 place. Are you saying that we must accept every assertion as a
truth?

co'o mi'e xorxes

_________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com.