Subject: Re: the reason for x4 of {djuno}?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 17:25:53 -0000

--- In lojban@y..., "Jorge Llambias" <jjllambias@h...> wrote:
> most Lojban predicates don't
> have an epistemology place. 

One can always be added, e.g. LE MLATO PEVEDU'O LE SMACU
is more like Beowulf's monster or the creatures in "Alien"
than a lovable pussycat... And FATCI FI'O DJUNO LE MLATU
may include the perception that one fur person in particular
is the geometric center of the universe.

I think the vexing question of what the default x4 of DJUNO
means can be solved thusly: Since there are basically three
kinds of circumstance that arise, one in which both the speaker
& the listener have the same position on the meaning of default-
x4; one in which they know they differ; & one in which they don't
know whether they differ or not: the first case is trivial, & for
the second it should be considered obligatory to state which x4 
(VO'A or LE MIBYPRE) is intended, to prevent the listener from
assuming it is the one in accordance with their own opinion. Then,
that only leaves the third case. I think that assuming the majority
view is the default would be reasonable, but this is for each
speaker to figure for themselves what the risk of being misunder-
stood would be...