Subject: Re: [lojban] the reason for x4 of {djuno}?

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 23:27:36

la xod cusku di'e

>Do you trust the experts that Pluto is further out than Jupiter, or do you
>remain skeptical?

I trust them, it is not something that would be hard to verify.
If for some unlikely reason, however, it was discovered that
Pluto is not further out than Jupiter, I would of course not
keep claiming that it is true, or that it ever had been true.

>Something about calling them "both probably wrong" hinted in that
>direction. Since you follow the philosophies of neither, I assumed you
>would have a different way to analyze the problems of a worker's state
>with an underdeveloped proletariat. You might not even choose to analyze
>it using those terms.

I never claimed I had an alternative theory! Here is what I said
in context:

> > >But what about the disputes between Trotskyists
> > >and Maoists? Which is correct and which is incorrect > >in this One 
>Truth model?
> >
> > I don't know, probably neither of them. Maybe it doesn't even
> > make sense to say that one is correct. I don't see how it would
> > help to claim that each of them knows a truth which the other knows
> > to be false.

If there is argument between them it is obviously because each
thinks they're right and can convince the other. Otherwise, if
they agree that their epistemologies differ, there would be no
point to the dispute, they would not be saying anything wich
had meaning to the other.

>Also, it's a lot more objectively accurate to say "X is true according to
>Y but not me", rather than for the speaker to collapse the argument to a
>binary value and blurt "X is false". It's more useful when discussing
>comparative ideas.

You're talking about good manners here, not about the meaning of
words. Saying "x is true according to y but not me" is perfectly
fine and non-contradictory. It's just another way of saying "I think
y is wrong about x".

co'o mi'e xorxes

_________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com.