Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: Random lojban questions/annoyances.

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 19:58:48

la adam cusku di'e

>I'm not sure I can think of an example that justifies the distinction
>between "ka" and "nu", either. Does "mi mutce le nu xenru" or "le ka
>sipna cu nibli le ka nalsanji" mean anything so different than the
>version with the other abstractor?

Oh, I completely agree with you. And you can add {du'u} to the
list as well. The problem is that whereas {nu} by definition
encompasses za'i/pu'u/mu'e/zu'o, there is nothing that encompasses
nu/ka/du'u, unless we started using {su'u} for that, but it is
more inconvenient than {nu} or {ka}.

>There may be examples where there
>is a real distinction, but they seem pretty rare. And yet we all
>constantly make a distinction between "ka" and "nu".

Yes, we do. And sometimes this causes me pointless quandaries
trying to decide which one to use, as if the resulting meaning
would be anything different. But we are forced to make the
distinction.

co'o mi'e xorxes

_________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com.