Subject: Re: [lojban] RE: NU

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 16:40:24 EDT

In a message dated 4/2/2001 1:11:11 PM Central Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> <I'm not sure that your understanding of {mu'e} agrees with the
> explanation given in the book. I don't doubt that yours fits
> closer to the standard meaning of "achievment", but in Lojbanic
> lore technical terms tend to wander off into whole new meanings.
> I think that according to Book-Lojban {le mu'e mi ciska} cannot
> be taken to mean {le nu mi co'a ciska} or {le nu mi mu'o ciska}.
> {pu le mu'e mi ciska} would have to be before my whole writing,
> taken as a point event, never as a reference to one specific
> point of the writing event.>
> 
Right-- I forgot to check the Book, relying on memory (always a mistake in my 
case) of the discussion around these topics earlier -- and the parallelism of 
the other NU with the event classification from Aristotle. I should remember 
about wandering vocabulary (metaphor, epistemology,...). Lord knows it comes 
up often enough.

<I guess I can imagine subtle distinctions there, but for example
I don't think that {za'i} introduces the idea of profession that
the English "writer" has>
Not neceessarily intended here: this could be a five-year old referring to 
last year, when he had to ask his sister (yuck!) to write to Santa Claus for 
him.

<And the {se ciska} is implied in all
three cases, you can talk about {le zu'o mi ciska le vi cukta}
as well as {le pu'u mi ciska le vi cukta}. (We are using {ciska}
where we should be using {finti}, I now realize.)> 

True, but typically what is {se ciska} would be different -- a particular ms 
(or whatever) in a process, inscriptions generally in an activity-- and even 
moreso in a state. The event type is more efficient that adding {le cukta} 
or {lo cukta} (or {se ciska} throughout). And why {finti}, not just {ciska}? 
Even the deviser of a plot et al has to get it down on paper or whatever 
before it is a book. (metonymy) 

<le ka le tsani be ce'u cu blanu>
Someday I'll forget enough 76 Loglan to learn Lojban.