Subject: Re: [lojban] translation of "Mark"

From: Jay Kominek <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 13:12:29 -0600 (MDT)

On Tue, 3 Apr 2001 [email-masked] wrote:

> The thing I've picked to fool with is the Gospel of Mark,
> unless someone else is working on it. If so, I'll pick
> something else. The thing is, it's short, and consists mostly
> of physical actions and simple declarative sentences.

I've not seen anyone mention that they're translating any parts of the
bible. (Though there is the lord's prayer floating around)

> But I have to ask - is there any convention for internationalization
> of geographic and proper names? Words like Jordan, Jerusalem,
> Jesus, and so on (not necessarily beginning with "J") - in

The reference grammar discusses how to go about producing cmene from names
in other languages.

> Lojbanistan are these words transliterated from English
> or from local names?

I'd think it would be most appropriate to generate the Lojbanic name from
the name in its original language. (Hebrew? or the Greek it was written
in, I suppose) Otherwise its a translation of a translation, something one
should try and cut down on. (I guess you'll be producing your version from
the English version of the bible? Hope you've got an accurate copy, then.
:)

> Is this a decision for the individual writer/translator/speaker?

People pick how their own names are translated, but if you're translating
the names of fictional characters, you can certianly do as you please.

> Can I submit what I've done here, or point to my website
> and ask for corrections to be sent to me privately?

The Book of Mark is sort of big, isn't it? (I figure they call it a book
for at least a half decent reason.) If you'd done the whole thing I think
standard netequitte would be to post a URL. Hopefully people would comment
on the translation in public, however, as I suspect it would spawn a
number of interesting discussions. :)

- Jay Kominek <[email-masked]>
Waiting Is.