Subject: Re: [lojban] translation of "Mark"

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 15:30:57 EDT

In a message dated 4/3/2001 2:08:01 PM Central Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> <But I have to ask - is there any convention for internationalization
> of geographic and proper names? Words like Jordan, Jerusalem,
> Jesus, and so on (not necessarily beginning with "J") - in
> Lojbanistan are these words transliterated from English
> or from local names? Is this a decision for the individual
> writer/translator/speaker? > 

The official line is that proper names are to be represented as close as 
possible to their home version, so, for Mark, either Aramaic or Koine, with 
Aramaic winning out. I recall "Jesus" coming out as {iecu,ys} (but my 
recollections are not reliable). In mamy cases (Chinese having had the most 
discussion recently) the translator's idea of what fits these requirements 
has been allowed to stand after a lot of carping by experts. 

> 
> <Also, is there any convention for review of translations?
> Can I submit what I've done here, or point to my website
> and ask for corrections to be sent to me privately?>
> 
I think we can be convinced to do it privately, unless some point of general 
interest comes up. But I think you might get a broader range of comments 
(not all helpful, alas) if you let the discussion go public.
BTW, I congatulate you for your relatively sensible choice (16 chapters is no 
short piece, but the text is very clear, not like the old standards Tao Teh 
Ching 1 or something from Alice) and I admire your courage.