Subject: Re: [lojban] srana le'i sucta cmavo

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 04:15:16

la maikl cusku di'e

> >Could you be more specific as to how they convey contours?
>
>See part 3 of chapter 11. Also somewhere on the Lojban home
>page is a short paper on event contours with reference to
>graphically representing them (in my mind--perhaps this is too
>esoteric--the ADSR, Attack (Decay) Sustain & whatever R was,

Release, I believe.

>in music theory: is just that sort of graph).

Yes, I read that, and I understand how the aspects enter into
the picture. I never understood (and still don't) how the
different NUs made any difference.

> >I don't really
> >know what {si'o} means. Is {si'o broda} maybe something like
> >{sidbo le nu broda}? It would be horribly vague.
>
>I imagine this one would find use among philosophers, where SI'O
>BRODA actually stands for a whole line of argumentation, rather
>than simply the abstraction of a simple gismu. Certainly when we
>say in English "the idea of Freedom" we aren't referring to the
>dictionary definition.

{le sidbo be le nu zifre}. I this {sidbo be le nu} something
so frequent and basic that it needs a special grammatical
shortcut?

> >pu'u broda = pruce co nu broda
>
>i don't see why not just PRUCE CO BRODA

I was just using the previous definition of {nu broda}.
A tanru like {broda pruce} doesn't really help much as
a definition. Not that my definition of {nu broda} was
much better, but at least it mentioned all the {le broda},
{le se broda}, etc that are involved in the event.

>then KLANI CO BRODA

Which again means nothing because it could mean anything.

>yes; i hate to say it but someday we'll have to write the lojban dictionary
>in lojban!

Of course we will, to describe the language in its own terms
is much more important than doing it in English, and I think
that the description of cmavo in Lojban would be the best
way to start.

co'o mi'e xorxes

_________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com.