Subject: Re: Honorifics [was: Re: [lojban] translation of "Mark"

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 23:05:03 EDT

In a message dated 4/5/2001 6:58:52 PM Central Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> <After the name, either GA'INAI or .IO has the force of a
> lojbanic honorific. >

Hmmmm! They show that you feel respect when speaking, so they give honorific 
status to whomever you are speaking to, but do they really work on the 
preceding *word*? If there is no better way, this might work, I suppose. But 
surely, there is a strictly lexical way that lacks this ambiguity.

<(I would stay away from anything CTILE, 
> even metaphorically.)>

Nah! It's olive oil (with a mixture of herbs and spices -- formula is in 
Leviticus somewhere, I think). xorxes has noted that {grusa} doesn't give 
too horrible a compound

<PRUXI BANLI seems more exact.>

For what? Misses "lord" completely (ruler, supplier of food in time of 
need,...) and does nothing for :"ho kyrios" or "adonai" that I can see. And 
"great in spirit" is too fuzzy to very exact for any purpose, ditto 
"spiritually great."
To be sure, {turni} comes down heavy on the "rules over" part and light on 
the provider part, but that is pretty much lost in English anyhow ("Lord" is 
from "hlafward, "protector of bread") and probably has no similar echoes in 
Hebrew and Greek (though Adonis is the partner of some grain goddess or 
other) .