Subject: Re: [lojban] Not because

From: "Bob LeChevalier (lojbab)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 11:49:53 -0400

At 09:46 PM 04/05/2001 -0400, Pierre Abbat wrote:
>How do we distinguish "not because" in these sentences?:
>
>The Vietnamese get into the Fourth of July celebrations because they enjoy
>firecrackers, not because they are Americans.

Based on your clarification, this is better rephrased as
The Vietnamese get into the Fourth of July celebrations because they enjoy
firecrackers, despite the fact that they are not Americans.

You thus can use ki'u lenu (they love firecrackers) kei ki'unai lenu (they 
are not Americans).

Or join the second clause with ijeki'unai which makes it more clear that 
they are not Americans because of the ije

>The Vietnamese get into the Fourth of July celebrations because they enjoy
>firecrackers, not because they live below me.

Since the second clause is irrelevant, you can join it with .iju, making it 
.ijuki'unai only if you want to show the parallel to the former.

lojbab
--
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org