Subject: Bible translation

From: "A.W.T." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 05:53:01 -0000

(this was sent to me but meant for the list!)

la aulun cusku di'e

> 
> > BTW, what's the reason for you to use {galkla se sanga} instead o=
f
{galtu=
> se sanga}? I'm aware of that a song cannot really be "high" 
> > (like a mountain etc.), yet, is it "going high" what is meant by
"Das hoh=
> e Lied"? or something like {pevgaltu} (Don't like the {pe'a} 
> > too much either.)

I tried marking everything that wasn't literal with "pe'a" but it
came out with so many "pe'a"s that it ruined the flow. I think
it's best just to say it without "pe'a" here.

> Looking a bit closer, I'm getting aware that you don't mean "Das
Hohelied" =
> (Hebr.: "shir-ha-shirím"; Lat.: "canticum canticorum") 
> but want to express the word "psalm" (Gr.: "psalmós") or
"psalter"
by {galk=
> la se sanga}.
> I do not think that this can give the meaning - and is misleading
anyway. S=
> o, why not go to the roots of the word "psalmós" which 
> is from "psallein" and having the plain meaning of "to pluck the
zither", h=
> ence maybe {jgita se sanga}, {gitselsanga} or does this 
> sound too trivial?

As far as "shir ha-ma'alot" goes, I'm not sure that there's a
completely unambiguous way to interpret it. I was thinking of it as
"se sanga lo galkla".

As for "psalms" the Hebrew is "t'hilim", which is something like
"songs of praise". The entire book contains several different words
for "song", such as "shir", "mizmor", ("mizmor shir"), etc, and I'm
not sure whether it's worth it to try to distinguish between them.

As an aside, I'm debating how to say "praise", which the book contain=
s
several synonyms for. "skicu" has a similar place structure, so it's =
a
good candidate for the tertau. "xauski" seems a bit weak, maybe
"balski" or "zanski"?

co'o mi'e adam