Subject: Re: Honorifics [was: Re: [lojban] translation of "Mark"

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 17:36:18 EDT

In a message dated 4/9/2001 4:05:05 PM Central Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes:
> 
> 
> --- In lojban@y..., pycyn@a... wrote:
> 
> > Allegro probably lost most of his claim to be a scholar with that one, 
> though 
> > he has precedents -- Soma was probably muscarine or a related compound 
> from 
> > Amanita muscaria or a related mushroom -- and the pictures make so much 
> sense!
> 
> All I can grasp is "amanita muscaria" - please at least try to educate me, 
> Jesus!!
> (Although not too interested in, I could get quite a lot more from Robins 
> 
Sorry, aol does not always send messages where they might naturally go -- or 
where they are aimed.
John Allegro, a good biblical scholar who worked on the Dead Sea Scrolls 
among other things, published "The [Sacred?] Mushroom and the Cross" (or 
maybe it was the other way round) and a couple of other books in which he 
claimed that the whole Jesus story was a cover myth for a magic mushroom 
cult, Amanitism (or Muscarism, if you will). He goes into some detail about 
the code involved: the cross is the cross-section of a mature A.m. (iffy), 
the virgin birth has to do with the womb-shaped preemergent fruiting body (if 
I remember the terminology correctly; pi,er will correct if I don't) -- it is 
the picture of that critter that is so impressive. The kingdom of heaven is 
the muscarine buzz, the bread of heaven is A.m. chunks, the wine of heaven is 
probably Soma, the indian sacred drink which, by another scholarly group with 
better credentials, is identified as the urine of muscarine intoxicated 
adepts -- rich in a hallucinogenic metabolite of muscarine which has the 
advantage of not being fatal in such small doses. And so on. I re Robin-CA, 
I disremember what was made of the phallic side of A.m. (a representation of 
Shiva in Indic lore, I think) but it may have been minor, since the mushroom 
of choice is not one of the fungi call phalloides (but then, umbrellas 
counted for Freud, and A.m. is surely as good as a bumbershoot).