Subject: Re: [lojban] Lojban Level 0 Brochure

From: Robin Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 16:52:15 +0300

On Wednesday 11 April 2001 12:03, Nick NICHOLAS wrote:
> Lojbanists,
>
> as previously posted, I have taken over production of the Level 0
> Brochure. This means translating existing materials to DocBook format, as
> well as completing and tinkering with Robin Turner's lessons. (Btw, not to
> start a flamewar on quite the wrong mailing list, but DocBook is just as
> brain-damaged as I suspected; I'll stick with it because, for now, its
> rendering support is still better than my tagset weapon of choice, TEI.)
>
> I've posted my first results (DocBook, RTF, TeX and HTML) on
> http://www.opoudjis.net/lojbanbrochure/brochure.ann.html (with
> too-acronym-ridden Lojban version on
> http://www.opoudjis.net/lojbanbrochure/brochure.ann-loj.html): these
> contain the first two of Robin's lessons. (I've added one exercise
> to Lesson 2; I'll be doing some reorganising with the other
> lessons.) Expect more in the weeks ahead --- especially once Lojbab
> actually finds the document I was working on in Fairfax! :-)

Nice to see my lessons are in good hands! A couple of points ...

1. Some formatting seems to have been lost in the HTML version. It would be 
worth setting up something in the stylesheet to render Lojban words 
differently to English (I just used the EM tag in the original, but a 
different font might be appropriate). I noticed that there is a reference to 
lojbanlevel0.css but I couldn't find the file. Quotation marks seem to be 
missing.

2. I can't turn the TeX version into DVI - I get an "undefined control 
sequence" error message. Since Nick says that he doesn't use TeX, maybe some 
TeXperts on this list could check this out.

3. Someone mailed me a while back, pointing out that "mi'e" is pronounced 
less like English "me hey" (as I wrote) and more liek "me heh". Might be 
worth changing this to avoid an excessively long "e".

robin.tr