Subject: Re: [lojban] A set of questions

From: Jay Kominek <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 15:42:59 -0600 (MDT)

On Wed, 11 Apr 2001, Bob LeChevalier (lojbab) wrote:

> >13) The fact that there are different ways of saying a lujvo with the same
> >meaning (selbri, selbridi, ...) would probably make it very hard to search
> >for lojban websites (if any really exist out of the known community), How
> >would I know what to search for? Using an 'official dictionry' kind of
> >loses the potential of Lojban, doesn't it?
>
> Lojban was designed before the WWW %^)
>
> If you mean websites with Lojban words in their title, one would normally
> expect the preferred (shortest/highest scoring) form to be used if one
> wants to be found using a search engine.

A search engine targeting the Lojbanic community could deal with this
trivially. The scoring is the key. I would suggest (to anyone planning
on implementing a Lojbanic search engine) that it internally recode
all lujvo into the form with the best score, then, when people search for
something which includes lujvo, it recode that into the best scoring form
before consulting its database. This may mean that it internally uses a
form different from everyone else, but then, thats internal, so it isn't a
terribly big deal.

(It'd be a bit easier to trip them up with 'se bridi vs selbri'.)

Not a whole lot different from search engines which ignore conjugation or
pluralization.

- Jay Kominek <[email-masked]>
Waiting Is.