Subject: Re: [lojban] Group Document Editing?

From: Jay Kominek <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 22:09:21 -0600 (MDT)

On Wed, 11 Apr 2001, Robin Lee Powell wrote:

> > Or are you looking more for a tool that plugs into a web server and
> > allows people to browse, add and edit lujvo entries for a web browser?
>
> Not really. I'd like people to be able to make change to (a segment of)
> the full lujvo document, probably in TeXInfo format.
>
> But what you're talking about, with the back-end making edits to the
> TeXInfo doc.... That might actually work pretty well.

I'd been thinking about this, and here is what I'd envisioned:

A web based system, with two parts (input and output, simply enough).

Input: Allows users to contribute new lujvo and fu'ivla, or to revise
existing definitions, suggest place changes, or add definitions in another
language. (So that it can store the definition for a given gismu or cmavo
in multiple languages, too.)

Output: Presents the user with a form asking them to select what language
they'd like their Lojban dictionary to present the definitions in. Then
askes what format they'd like the output in.

A weekly summary of changes to the dictionary contents could be posted on
the web page for people to argue about and discuss. (Or maybe send a list
of the suggestions to the mailing list.)

Does this sound useful and appropriate? Would people make use of both
sides of it, in multiple languages? It seems like implementation would be
a Simple Matter Of Programming.

> That wouldn't do all of it, though, as I'd also like people to
> collaborate on lessons and brochures and large translations and such.

Something like CVS seems appropriate. Never heard of the aforementioned
CVSWebEdit, maybe something like that? (Web text editor saving stuff into
CVS?)

- Jay Kominek <[email-masked]>
UNIX is all about covering up the fact that you can't type.