Subject: Re: [lojban] Q

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 12:38:53 EDT

In a message dated 4/16/2001 7:49:52 AM Central Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> I use {mi na djuno 
> ledu'u ti
> > drani} for "I don't know that this is correct" and {mi na djuno lejei 
> ti drani}
> > for "I don't know whether this is correct".
> 
> a) You're right. I meant to use <du'u>.
> b) That's nice. Thanks.
> c) For all of you wanting to find a situation where two different 
> abstractions can be used with a difference in meaning, here it is.
> 
c only works if we agree that "I don't know that that is true" and "I don't 
know whether that is true" (Note: {jetnu} not {drani} literally) mean 
different things, which is not obvious (though I can be convinced both ways 
on alternate seconds). And the problems with different abstractors was more 
with sub-types than with radically different sorts (though the accusation was 
often that the typpe was determined by the head to which it was attached and 
this would strike at that point).