Subject: Re: [lojban] Q

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 23:08:00

"I don't know that this is correct" is very idiomatic English,
it would go into Spanish as "no me consta que esto sea correcto",
it means something like "it seems that everybody is taking for
granted that this is correct, but I'm not necessarily buying it",
or something like that. I don't know that translating it as
{na djuno} has the same type of connotation in Lojban...

In any case, nobody said that du'u and jei (in its {du'u xukau}
second meaning) were not different, they obviously are, and there
is no need to search for odd examples:

la djan djuno le du'u mi klama le zarci
John knows that I go to the market.

la djan djuno le du'u xukau mi klama le zarci
John knows whether I go to the market.

Or, (mis?)using {jei}:

la djan djuno le jei mi klama le zarci

If {jei} gives a truth value, the latter is nonsense, but
this is really the only usage {jei} has had, so maybe {jei}
just means {du'u xukau}.

co'o mi'e xorxes

_________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com.