Subject: Re: [lojban] Events

From: "Bob LeChevalier (lojbab)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 17:07:09 -0400

At 04:17 PM 04/18/2001 -0400, Value Yourself wrote:
>On 18 Apr 2001 [email-masked] wrote:
>
> > This is well outside of my areas of expertise, but, it would seem to me 
> that time would have no meaning without events.
>
>
>Empty points of spacetime are called "events", whether or not anything
>important occurs there.
>
>If anyone disputes this use of the word "event", they can go to
><http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/spacetime-holearg/>
>
>I understand the difference between this and the nu abstractor. My
>question remains; was there a connection in the minds of those who decided
>to use the english word "event"?

As the other mind in question (other than pc), I have to say that 
relativity theory was the last thing on my mind at the time, though in 
later discussions of tense, I believe I was one the people who brought in 
the spacetime analogy for spatial tenses.

My use of the term "event" for "nu" came from pc's description of 
Aristotelian event analysis.

I suspect that JCB's earlier analysis was similarly based on ancient 
logical-philosophical traditions, though pc could probably better tell you 
which ones. He often used the phrasing "event, state, or condition".

lojbab
--
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org