Subject: RE: [lojban] Three more issues

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 01:55:54

la Avital cusku di'e

>I don't seem to understand. Why aren't several words cu valsi?

Could you ask the question in Lojban please?
Each of several words certainly is valsi:
{le so'o valsi cu valsi}. A group of words, however,
is not a word: {lei so'o valsi cu valsi so'omei gi'enai valsi}

>What does
>it matter what a pa valsi is?

What are the things that {da} can stand for in {ro da poi valsi}?
"This" belongs to the set of all words, "this is a sentence" does
not belong to the set of all words. Do you think it would be
preferable to define {valsi} in such a way that that sentence
was a member of {lo'i valsi}? (i li'acai lo'i valsi na valsi)

>SOmething told me that Lojban does not
>specify number if not specifically specified (that sounded like crap).

Maybe not complete crap, but close. You can use {le broda} to
refer to {le pa broda} or to {le so'i broda}, that's what it
means to say that you don't have to specify number in Lojban.
But in both cases you are referring to individual broda. If you
want to refer to a group of broda as a whole, you have to use
{lei broda}, so the individual/collective distinction is
mandatory in Lojban, and sometimes this has to do with the
specification of number in other languages.

co'o mi'e xorxes

_________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com.