Subject: Re: "not only"

From: "A.W.T." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 19:16:00 -0000

--- In lojban@y..., pycyn@a... wrote:

> If there is some doubt about this, consider the following. For humans i=
t is 
> universally true that only females are pregnant. So, in particular, it i=
s 
> true that only female inhabitants of the Carmel of Sts Tereesa and Theres=
e 
> are pregnant. But, even though there are female (and only female) 
> inhabitants, it does not follow that any of them are pregnant.
> Similarly, only female inhabitants of Gethsemani Abbey are pregnant. It =
does 
> not follow from this that any of these men is pregnant, indeed, from the =
fact 
> that they are all men it follows that none of them is pregnant. Of cours=
e, 
> you could say that it is not true of these groups that only female member=
s 
> are pregnant, but that entails that they are not human, contrary to all t=
he 
> available evidence.

I don't at all accept your tricky "*are* (pregnant)", which is false - henc=
e all your further statements deducted.

{lo'e fetsi cu ka'e pazvau} -> true
{lo'e fetsi po'onai cu ka'e pazvau} -> true
{lo'e fetsi noi se zdani la'o gy The Carmel of Sts Tereesa and Therese gy c=
u ka'e pazvau} -> true
(I think, this doesn't claim that there are females there at all nor that t=
hey're pregnant)
{lo'e fetsi noi se zdani la cys. ge'u po'onai cu ka'e pazvau} -> ?????
(is only the typical female *living in the Carmel* innately capable to be p=
regnant?! Yet, using the {noi} here instead of {poi} 
maybe could save here - not too sure though.)

> Bite the bullet and get on with it.

Ich beiße lieber in den sauren Apfel ;-)

co'o mi'e .aulun.

P.S. In Chinese, the word for "only" is different from that of "not only" =
(bu *jin* shi xiaohai ... Not only the kids ... - *zhi3* shi 
xiaohai... Only the kids...) But this only (?) depends from usage conventio=
n. (Although the different words e.g. zhi3, dan4, jin3,4 
are differently flavoured in shades of meaning.) I'm sure that our member Z=
himin can give more competent advice.