Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: A set of questions

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 01:48:50

la adam cusku di'e

>I think that ZI is supposed to be parallel to VA, so "co'e za ko'a",
>would happen at a medium time from "ko'a", just as something like
>"citka va le panka" happens a medium distance from the park.

That is the official line, yes.

>OTOH, "za
>lo djedi be li re" has a time interval and not an event tagged, so
>maybe it could mean "2 days ago/hence", but I think that that would
>mean that "cadzu va lo mitre be li mu" would mean "walk(s) (at a
>place) 5 meters away."

Exactly right. I use ZI and VA to tag the actual displacement
of the action, and PU and FAhA to tag the direction from the
reference point. So I would say {citka ne'a le panka} to
indicate some proximity to the park.

>I suppose it would work, but having 2 meanings
>for VA/ZI seems like it might be slightly un-lojbanic.

I use only one of the meanings. It is unfortunate that the
other one was officialized, but it is very useful to have
a simple way of saying "such and such a time ago/hence" or
"such and such a distance away". The reference point can
already be marked with PU/FAhA, so it is a waste to also
use ZI/VA for that and be left with no simple way to mark
the amount of displacement.

co'o mi'e xorxes

_________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com.