Subject: RE: [lojban] A or B depending on C

From: "And Rosta" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 16:47:28 +0100

Jorge:
> la and cusku di'e
> 
> >This was discussed about 18 months ago: "What i have for dinner depends
> >on what's in the fridge". It generalizes to your case: "Which of
> >{A, B} is true depends on what is C".
> 
> Right! Did we find a good word for "x1 depends on x2"?

I can't remember. Perhaps a more talented archive-grepper than
me could check.

> I can't think of anything right now. Would {jalge} work?
> For example:
> 
> le du'u abu jikau by broda cu jalge le du'u xukau cy brode
> "Whether A or B broda results from whether C brode."

To me, the arguments of jalge should be events, not propositions.

> >My brain died before that thread was resolved, but iirc you
> >were happy to handle it as "le du'u Q kau broda kei depends-on
> >le du'u Q kau brode".
> 
> It still sounds good, but of course we are still missing
> a full logical explanation of {kau}, which is another UI
> that mucks around with truth values.

At least here we have the excuse that nobody can figure out a
sufficiently general explicit logical analysis of interrogatives,
and nobody has had the time, inclination or competence to track
down and digest the logical and linguistic literature, doctoral
dissertations, etc., on the topic. This is in marked contrast to 
the likes of most other UI that {f|m}uck about with truth values, 
which are UI because the Powers that Be couldn't be arsed to 
insist on maximal homomorphism between grammatical and logical 
structure.

--And.