Subject: Re: [lojban] Entail, Implicate (was: not only

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 17:04:38 EDT

In a message dated 4/20/2001 12:55:03 PM Central Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> Does anybody who needs to ask what "entail" means understand "classic
> bivalent first order logic", "alethic modalities", "S5", or "deontic
> modalities"? I hope I don't need all this to be able to think clearly or
> use Lojban effectively.
> 
> 
> I gather that "entail" refers to logical deduction (nibli), and
> 

No, but you wanted to play in the meta-game. There you do have to-- if not 
know these guys -- at least know what they are about and where to get the 
details if they become important. They are all easy to come by (people keep 
touting McCawley, for example), but they take a little time. In general, I'd 
suggest using the time to write better Lojban; there are enough of us 
meta-players already.

Implicature is not inductive (in any of the senses of that word and certainly 
not in one that could be called {tolsucta}), it is deductive from a fairly 
vague set of premises -- closer to legal or casuistical reasoning than 
scientific or statistical.