Subject: Re: [lojban] fanvyca'a

From: Rob Speer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 21:00:46 -0400

On Sat, Apr 21, 2001 at 04:23:43PM -0600, Jay Kominek wrote:
> Does anyone happen to have a pile of technical lujvo they're sitting on?
> The terms which are available at the moment are so scant as to be nearly
> worthless.

I remember last time we started coming up with technical lujvo on the list,
someone warned against letting Lojban become a "geek language" by making a
disproportionate number of them. However, I feel that the things we can most
easily accomplish with Lojban are on the technical side, so why not have lots
of technical words as well?

On a somewhat related topic...

I've somewhat recently started an unofficial translation of GNOME 1.4 into
Lojban. It's unofficial because Lojban doesn't have an official translation
team in the GNU Translation Project (though I think they could - Esperanto
does, after all), but I'm hoping that with some actual translated text, there
would be a reason to start such a team.

Anyway. Here are the terms I've come up with so far. They're not all lujvo -
lots of words used by GNOME are metaphors to real-world objects, so I felt I
should use those in Lojban as well.

Many of these will not have a use outside GNOME, of course, but here they are.

panel: tanbo
(The Panel is a bar on any side of the screen which might contain menus,
program launchers, minimized programs, applets, etc.)
launcher: cecla
layout: te platu
desktop: gunsfe
pager: gunsfeja'o
(The Pager is an applet that shows a thumbnail view of various desktops.)
task (running program): mutmi'i
thumbnail: cmaji'u
tooltip: plidju
shade (collapse a window into its title bar): rinka lenu jarki
pixel: vidnysle
window manager: canko jitro
popup: zmiku tolcanci

In addition, text often has to be included in the messages which cannot be
changed - filenames, names of programs, etc. I've begun to use < and > as
delimiters - they are both basically the equivalent of .gy. or any other
delimiter.

Example: "You must supply a URL" -> "ko sabji la'o <url>"

-- 
Rob Speer