Subject: Re: [lojban] fanvyca'a

From: Value Yourself <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 22:44:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 21 Apr 2001, Rob Speer wrote:

> I remember last time we started coming up with technical lujvo on the list,
> someone warned against letting Lojban become a "geek language" by making a
> disproportionate number of them.

There are already a disproportionate number of sexual and adventure gaming
terms in the lujvo list. All we're trying to is achieve a little balance!

> I've somewhat recently started an unofficial translation of GNOME 1.4 into
> Lojban. It's unofficial because Lojban doesn't have an official translation
> team in the GNU Translation Project (though I think they could - Esperanto
> does, after all), but I'm hoping that with some actual translated text, there
> would be a reason to start such a team.

Excellent! I will help where I can.

> Many of these will not have a use outside GNOME, of course, but here they are.
>
> panel: tanbo
> (The Panel is a bar on any side of the screen which might contain menus,
> program launchers, minimized programs, applets, etc.)
> launcher: cecla
> layout: te platu

Not sure I understand this. terplatu is a planned process?

> desktop: gunsfe
> pager: gunsfeja'o
> (The Pager is an applet that shows a thumbnail view of various desktops.)

e'u gunsfexra (pixra) or gunsfesni (sinxa)

> task (running program): mutmi'i
> thumbnail: cmaji'u

e'u use the same ending you use for gunsfeja'o?

> tooltip: plidju
> shade (collapse a window into its title bar): rinka lenu jarki

jakybi'o?

> pixel: vidnysle
> window manager: canko jitro
> popup: zmiku tolcanci

automatic appearer? Maybe it could be more specific? zmiku tolcanci canko?

> In addition, text often has to be included in the messages which cannot be
> changed - filenames, names of programs, etc. I've begun to use < and > as
> delimiters - they are both basically the equivalent of .gy. or any other
> delimiter.
>
> Example: "You must supply a URL" -> "ko sabji la'o <url>"

This and everything else is very nice!

------
1.Why are you measuring the measure? The measure is the same. Even after
Great One, the bones will be broken. I am telling you. Relic should believe me.
2.Where after religion you believe in religion and wish that to Ora.
Emptiness is that what Baby God's Eye is fighting for.