Subject: More interface words

From: Rob Speer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 15:19:39 -0400

Okay, in what I've done now I've got a few more words.

dialog box: reirdatni canko
command: selmi'e
applet: cmamutmi'i
(I'm sticking by mutmi'i this time. The process (samru'e) performed by an
applet may not be small, but the program in general (mutmi'i) is
unobtrusive and small in its representation.)
animation: mu'uxra
clipboard: datnysro
GMT (Greenwich Mean Time): tcika befo la grenitc.
Unix time: se snidu be la .iuniks.
(This one might require a bit of explanation - Unix time is the number of
seconds since 1970, which is incidentally about when Unix was first
developed.)

I've also noticed that some of the English text I'm translating is obtuse or
misinformative. The clock applet has a choice on its popup menu to 'copy time
to selection'. What it really means is 'copy [to the clipboard] the time [as if
it were a] selection'.

Anyway, for the Lojban version I just said "ko benji le tcika le datnysro".

I haven't used "ko" much in these translations, but here I decided to use it.
Many options in dialog boxes are expressed in English as commands, such as
"Show hidden tasks", but what it means is "Hidden tasks are to be shown" with
no specific subject. I reserve "ko" for something which would perform an action
_right now_. So "Show hidden tasks" is just "jarco le mipri samru'e". If there
were a choice for "ko jarco le mipri samru'e", it would show a menu of all the
tasks that are currently hidden, or something of the sort.
-- 
Rob Speer