Subject: The Translation Site for Normal Users

From: Robin Lee Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 15:28:14 -0700

On Sun, Apr 22, 2001 at 08:04:25PM +0000, ******* wrote:
> 
> >For those of you who've never used CVS, go to http://www.cvshome.org/.
> 
> I went there and I'm afraid I'm unable to understand a single word
> of it. I'm only a user, I don't have a degree in Computer Science...
> I followed the links that seemed to be for Windows, but I couldn't
> reach anything that I could make any sense of. Could you just direct
> me to which file I should download? Thanks!

All right, I'm not going to say whom this was from, as it was a private
mail, but here are instructions for accessing the translation files for
Normal Windows Users.

Note that the vast majority of these instructions are identical for
Macs.

The home page for MacCVS/WinCVS is:

http://www.cvsgui.org/

The actual binaries are at

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=10072&release_id=24467

The latest WinCVS, in particular, is at

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/cvsgui/WinCvs120.zip

And the latest non-beta MacCVS is at

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/cvsgui/MacCVS3111.sit.hqx

It's for PowerPC.

So, grab that, unzip it to a temp directory, run Setup, follow the
prompts, reboot.

Run WinCVS (in Start->Gnu->WinCVS).

Close the tip window, there'll be a window there that has the title
"WinCVS Preferences" (if it's not there it's in the Admin menu,
"Preferences". The CVSROOT is

:pserver:<userid>@digitalkingdom.org:/home/cvs

where <userid> is your userid that I've given you.

Authentication type is 

"passwd" file on the cvs server

You shouldn't need to change anything else, so hit OK.

Then go to Admin -> Login.

Do _not_ enter a password, just hit OK.

In the little window at the bottom should be the line:

*****CVS exited normally with code 0*****

If it doesn't say that, in particular if it says 'code 1' instead,
scroll up to see what the problem is and check your entries in
Admin->Preferences. If that still doesn't work, mail me. 

Note that a firewall will likely stop all this from working.

Then go to Create->Check Out Module

The module name & path is

lojban

And you should pick a new local folder to put stuff in.

You will then have a folder on the right hand side named 'lojban'.
First, select the 'cvs' folder in the left hand section of the window.
Right-click, and select 'Reload View'. The go into the folder named
'lojban' (double click) , then translations, then pick which project
want to look at/work on.

The following assumes you're going to edit a file, otherwise just double
click on the file you want to read and if it asks you what program to
use to view it, select WordPad.

Select the file to edit so that it is highlited, then select
Trace->Modify Selection, or the little icon on the toolbar that looks
like a pencil (just to the left of the eraser). This step is *VERY*
important, otherwise you won't be able to edit the right file!

There should be a pencil _without_ a blue line through it now by the
file you want to edit.

I, for example, need to make a change to the 5th chapter of Alice, so I
went into lojban->translations->alice and double-clicked on
alice-05.texinfo.

If, at this point, you are asked what program to open the file with,
select WordPad or NotePad (I reccomend WordPad, partly because it's easy
to find: right near the bottom of the list, usually).

Edit the file as you wish. Save when done.

Select the file so that it is highlited, then select Modify->Commit
Selection, or the icon that looks like a piece of paper with a red arrow
coming out of it (just to the left of the directory dropdown). Hit OK
at the window that's popped up.

Some processing occurs, and then the pencil to the left of the file
should get a blue line through it again.

Congratulations, the changes you just made are available to all other
lojbanists!

***IMPORTANT***

If you're editing files, every once in a while, select the 'cvs' folder
in the left hand section of the window, then the 'lojban' folder in the
right hand section of the window, then select Modify->Update Selection
(or the little piece of paper with the green arrow coming into it beside
the Commit icon). This will bring all the changes that others have made
onto your machine.

In particular, do this just before you Commit, or it will refuse to
commit (you'll know this has happened if, after you commit, the pencil
has no blue line through it).

Feel free to mail me if you need more help.

-Robin

-- 
http://www.digitalkingdom.org/~rlpowell/ BTW, I'm male, honest.
le datni cu djica le nu zifre .iku'i .oi le so'e datni cu to'e te pilno
je xlali -- RLP http://www.lojban.org/