Subject: Re: [lojban] The Translation Site for Normal Users

From: Jay Kominek <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 21:28:58 -0600 (MDT)

On Sun, 22 Apr 2001, Robin Lee Powell wrote:

> Ah, important point.
>
> I think that people should _absolutely_ edit other people's work.
> Hopefully things will eventually settle on the 'best' translation. So
> please, read what other people have done!

Maybe you should write up some editing guidelines to stick in the README.

It would seem reasonable, to me, for them to be something along the lines
of:

1) If there is a grammatical error where the correction is obvious, then
fix it. No need to make a note of anything.

2) If there is a grammatical error where the correction isn't obvious,
then fix it, and make a little note.

3) If you think that some grmmatical form was poorly chosen, make a note,
but don't do anything.

4) If you think a word is really badly chosen, make a note.

5) If you think a word is poorly chosen, (because you don't like some
cmavo, or when gismu are similar. 'drink' vs 'eat' for something ambigous,
like gelatin), then just make a mental note of it to discuss when
translation is nearing completion and the whole thing has to be made
consistent.

Worrying about consistency during the initial phase of a group translation
project seems like it might be premature. (Though something to keep in the
back of your mind.) A final pass for consistency will be needed no matter
wait.

- Jay Kominek <[email-masked]>
Waiting Is.