Subject: Re: [lojban] More interface words

From: Rob Speer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 19:55:18 -0400

On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 07:08:18PM -0400, Value Yourself wrote:
> I wonder if this is a useful concept to import. I think the gnome people
> abused it. I think a Java applet is an application-LET because it's
> launched by visiting a certain webpage, not by intentionally issuing a
> launch command, and it gets flushed when you leave that page, not when you
> issue a quit command as with normal apps, and with gnome "applets". Also,
> they do tend to be small.
> 
> So I think of a gnome applet as more of a dockable app than a Java applet.
> But every app is dockable, no? Netscape is in my dock. It's also a monster
> of bloat; there's nothing "-let" about it! And it doesn't run in any
> sandbox of gnome either.

You seem confused about what a GNOME applet is. You usually don't issue a
launch command to run an applet, except the first time, when you choose it from
the Applets menu. From then on, the fact that that applet is running becomes
part of the state of the Panel, so the panel it's on will always remember to
start that applet again.

I really doubt you're running Netscape as an applet. You might have a
_launcher_ for it. If Netscape were embedded in the panel it would be entirely
unusable (you'd see, at best, the menu bar, the button bar, and perhaps a few
pixels of the page).

And applets are, in fact, run in a sandbox of GNOME. If an applet crashes, it
restarts it. GNOME automatically puts things on an applet's right-click menu
(so if the applet stops working you can still get to the menu option to remove
it, for example). And applets can't be run if there is no panel for them to run
inside.

-- 
Rob Speer