Subject: Re: [lojban] Usage of logical connectives?

From: Robin Lee Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 22:17:40 -0700

On Tue, Apr 24, 2001 at 12:58:59AM -0400, Pierre Abbat wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Apr 2001, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
> >Take the phrase, said by a parent to a child:
> >
> >"You can go to the park if you clean your room".
> >
> >Would .inaja or .ijanai be the correct way to handle this in lojban?
> 
> I would use .ijo, because .ijanai allows for the possibility that you don't
> clean your room and can still go to the park.

OK, let me rephrase:

Are logical connective the way that a lojbanic parent would express that
restriction?

I'm asking because it seems like the logical connectives don't add
information. If I say

mi broda .ije do brode

then you know that I believe that both of those things are true, but you
can just as easily tell me I'm wrong.

More to the point, it has nothing to do with proscription, or with
actions at all, the way the English example above does.

I just want to make sure that if I translate that sort of English
sentence with a logical connective, I'm not commiting malglico.

-Robin

-- 
http://www.digitalkingdom.org/~rlpowell/ BTW, I'm male, honest.
le datni cu djica le nu zifre .iku'i .oi le so'e datni cu to'e te pilno
je xlali -- RLP http://www.lojban.org/