Subject: Re: [lojban] NickFest 2

From: Robin Lee Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 15:01:57 -0700

On Tue, Apr 24, 2001 at 05:46:54PM -0400, Bob LeChevalier (lojbab) wrote:
> At 11:58 AM 04/24/2001 -0700, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
> >On Tue, Apr 24, 2001 at 04:52:26AM -0400, Bob LeChevalier:
> > >
> > > Because this task has languished so long and because the potential
> > > is high for getting lots of good stuff going, I would like at
> > > least two people to volunteer to work on this either together or
> > > independently (the inform work can easily be done independently of
> > > any attempt to fix the Basic program).
> >
> >I, myself, have no interest in doing this because adventure games
> >annoy the heck out of me (the puzzle solving just pisses me off).
> >
> >I am, however, seriously considering creating a lojbanic MUD which,
> >IMO, serves all the purposes of making a lojbanic Adventure clone
> >(and can certainly have puzzles incorporated into it) except that
> >it's multi-user, so it provides for interaction as well.
> >
> >How much interest do the Powers That Be have in this? It's going to
> >take a _lot_ of work, and I don't know that I want to get into it if
> >people don't see it as valuable.
> 
> I have one volunteer already. The advantage of Colossal Cave is that
> most people know how to solve the puzzles if they have ever played an
> adventure game, it being the original model. Which makes it an
> exercise in reading the Lojban so you know the (lojban) command
> appropriate to solving the puzzle that you already know how to solve.
> 
> The main reasons it is "important" is that we don't have this sort of
> thing (your MUD effort will be welcome, in other words) 

Eeeexcellent, smithers.

> coupled with the fact that Nick translated the text files 8 years ago,
> an enormous 107K of Lojban text from the time when people were still
> struggling to write sentences, and they have yet to see the light of
> day (the text is hidden on the text archive, but I doubt that anyone
> has seen it there amidst the megabytes of other stuff). Some of
> Nick's best Lojban work and the largest text ever translated has thus
> never been read.

Yeah. That's, uh, a pretty damn good point you got there. 8)

-Robin

-- 
http://www.digitalkingdom.org/~rlpowell/ BTW, I'm male, honest.
le datni cu djica le nu zifre .iku'i .oi le so'e datni cu to'e te pilno
je xlali -- RLP http://www.lojban.org/