Subject: RE: [lojban] RE:not only

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 23:23:38

la and cusku di'e

>It remains the case, though, that the official analysis of indirect
>questions, as formulated by Rob, does not avoid indirect questions
>in its periphrasis, and it is my hunch that locically, direct 
>interrogatives
>make use of the basic logical machinery of indirect interrogatives,
>rather than vice versa.

That sounds reasonable, especially since you can always reformulate
a direct question as an indirect one: "I am asking you how much money
you have", "I am asking you whether you have any money", etc.
I don't know whether they have exactly the same force as direct
questions, but they do serve the same purpose.

Something similar happens with commands. "Come here!" vs. "I am
telling you to come here." We don't have the {kau} equivalent for
indirect commands though, maybe we should. (Something that would
correspond to the subjunctive in other languages.)

co'o mi'e xorxes

_________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com.