Subject: Re: [lojban] Cultural fu'ivla (was: Re: NickFest 2

From: "Bob LeChevalier (lojbab)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 22:43:36 -0400

At 08:59 PM 04/24/2001 -0400, Pierre Abbat wrote:
>I agree that the fu'ivla for Korea should be based on Chosen, but I don't like
>mass creation of type 3 fu'ivla. I feel it's the gismu, lujvo, and type4
>fu'ivla that give the language character.

Since we have no (officially at least) recognized type 4 fu'ivla, I don't 
think that they can be said to give the language much character.

There is the special type 4 pattern proposed for "rafsi fu'ivla" and these 
would probably be used where it makes sense. But the priority is to have 
words for each major culture, *somehow*.

> Not that type 3 should be entirely
>eschewed - sometimes there's no way to make a word fit type 4 - but
>aesthetically I find them ugly.

They are expected to be. We want people to use lujvo if possible. But we 
need words for these and lujvo are not likely to be preferred 
approaches. We also need some examples of fu'ivla and culture words are 
the obvious source. But we aren't going to take a lot of time to make good 
type 4s for every one. It is not that high a priority at this stage.

>A couple of possibilities for Breton have been bouncing around my head: 
>brezone
>and bre'one. Which is better? Probably best to ask a Breton, as there are 
>AFAIU
>differences in how "zh" is pronounced. On Lojbanic grounds, I lean toward the
>latter, as it has a rafsi under the rafsi fu'ivla proposal.
>
>A good place to find names of languages is the Ethnologue, which is at
>http://www.sil.org/.

That will likely be one source for languages and frequencies.

lojbab
--
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org