Subject: Re: [lojban] djataurte

From: "Bob LeChevalier (lojbab)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 02:16:09 -0400

At 11:19 PM 04/25/2001 -0400, Pierre Abbat wrote:
>I found "djataurte" in translations/alice/NEW_WORDS meaning "tart". This is a
>fu'ivla, but it's a type 4,

If it has a rafsi in the front, it is clearly intended to be a type 3.

This is precisely the sort of word that MUST be a type 3 and not a type 
4. After all, "tart" has three completely distinct meanings in English (a 
food, a flavor property, and a slang description of a woman with loose 
morals) and who knows how many its Lojban counterpart might have in all the 
world's languages. How can we say at this stage of usage which of the 
multiple meanings should apply to the type 4 wordform - only 1 is allowed.

>so why does it begin with "dja"? Type 3 fu'ivla
>shouldn't be made from CCV or CVV rafsi anyway.

There is nothing illegal about using them - it just can't be assumed that 
the fu'ivla will be well-formed when one works with those rafsi.

lojbab
--
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org