Subject: Creating fu'ivla (was: NickFest 2)

From: Arnt Richard Johansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 10:40:39 +0200

>The next area to be worked on are fu'ivla, which have hardly been 
>tackled. Nick advocates our collecting a fairly large set of easily made 
>fu'ivla for plants and animals, (and perhaps other common international 
>science words and foods), using the Linnean genus for each animal in the 
>Latin ablative case (which gives a consistent vowel ending.

This whole business with "wholesale borrowing" worries me. It may be OK in
cases such as Linnean names, element names, country names and language
names, which are "namelike", and can be based on the place structures of
danlu, ratni, gugde and bangu. But how about the other "common
international science words"? Words such as "hypothesis", "visualization",
"correlation coefficient" and "synchrotron" may be similar across
languages, but that doesn't necessarily mean that borrowing them into
Lojban would be a Good Thing. How should the place structure of such words
be derived, if not individually?
-- 
Arnt Richard Johansen | - Hvorfor snakker man engelsk på Internet?
http://people.fix.no/arj/ | - Har du hørt om "minste felles nevner"?
[email-masked] |