Subject: Re: [lojban] pa'aku ??

From: "Bob LeChevalier (lojbab)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 15:25:17 -0400

At 11:08 AM 04/26/2001 -0700, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
>Just noticed this:
>
> pa'a BAI in addition to
> panra modal, 1st place (parallel; shared property)
> similarly; in addition to ...
>
>
> pa'aku BAI* each respectively
> sumti: explicitly marks respective use as in "THEY
> read THEIR (respective) books"
>
>My question is, where is this pa'aku usage mentioned in the book?

I don't think it is. There are very few indications of specific usage of 
modals in the refgrammar - after all there are several dozen of them. This 
particular usage was the basis for including pa'a in the language. Several 
other BAI members were only included because they reflected a colloquial 
English usage that could be expressed modally in Lojban. *After* they were 
added (by several years), the link in meaning to the place structures of 
the source words was imposed on the BAI members which sometimes clouds the 
ties back to the natlang phrasings that justified them, but this one still 
holds pretty well to the English meaning.

The long form would probably be something like "[sumtiA] pe pa'a [sumtiB] 
ge'u zi'e vepa'a [similarity with sumti B justifying the parallel] ge'u 
zi'e tepa'a [contrast with sumtiB that makes them associate differently] ge'u

lojbab
--
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org