Subject: Re: Creating fu'ivla (was: NickFest 2)

From: "Adam Raizen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 22:40:27 -0000

la lojbab cusku di'e
> The international science words that I was referring to in my post
are such 
> things as words for other scientific units, and the things those
units 
> measure. How do we Lojbanically express a "joule", so as to keep it 
> distinct from an "erg"? We can come up with a lujvo based on
"nejni", and 
> would probably use this one for a metric unit name, which leaves us
at a 
> bit of a loss for other units that are not the metric standards. 
How do we 
> express "color", "charm", and "strangeness" as used in atomic
particle 
> physics? Anything based off skari or cizra is a loan-translation,
and I 
> dislike those in lujvo unless the source language metaphor is
defining - 
> you certainly won't be able to use the standard lujvo place
structure words 
> to come up with the places for "strangeness" from cizra, anyway.

How about using the lojban loan-translation as the basis for the
"foreign" part of the fu'ivla? Something like "ratrskari",
"ratrtrina", and "ratrcizra"? Then someone who is familiar with the
concepts could come up with the place structure from scratch, and
there's no chance of confusion with the gismu or with other
jargon-based uses of the word.

mu'o mi'e adam