Subject: Re: Usage of logical connectives?

From: "Adam Raizen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 00:20:20 -0000

la xorxes cusku di'e

> In any case, {mi curmi le nu do klama le panka kei le nu do
> nicygau le do kumfa} is the clearest translation.

I hope that the x3 of words like "curmi" and "binxo" don't indicate a
cause. If so, then "curmi" doesn't mean "let", but "would let, if x3",
and "binxo" would mean "would become if x3", both of which are much
less useful than a more general meaning (this particular case
notwithstanding). I think it's better to interpret these places like
we normally would interpret the x4 and x3 (respectively) of "skari"
and "viska", i.e. as indicating a "background" for the main bridi
(though it's not clear why these gismu in particular need that place
and most of the others don't).

We need a way to express a cause as a selbrivla and as a sumti tcita.
I used to use "va'o" for that, but that raises the question of how to
say "I had a good time at the performance." The meaning isn't quite
"vi" or "ca", and "mi se zdile va'o le se tigni" would work, if "va'o"
doesn't indicate a cause. Then what to use to indicate a cause? I
think I'll try "bapli" and "bai" for this, though it might be forcing
it a little. :-)

"i ko ei nicygau le pe do kumfa isebaibo mi zifygau do le nu klama le
panka"

or alternatively:

"i ko nicygau le kumfa pe do ja'e le nu mi zifygau do le nu klama le
panka"

mu'o mi'e adam