Subject: Re: [lojban] Predicate logic and childhood.

From: "Bob LeChevalier (lojbab)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 17:36:31 -0400

At 02:00 PM 04/30/2001 -0700, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
>On Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 03:53:18PM -0400, Rob Speer wrote:
> > Okay, I should have looked a little harder. Your C does have a 'ko' in it.
>
>Correct. Note that either ko binding stops at the .ijo, or jbofi'e has
>a bug in it.

I believe that variable binding must continue across an .ijo boundary 
because such a sentence pair can in theory be re-expressed as a single 
sentence having identical meaning (subject to some special rules for 
negation and the like), using gi'o or using go...gi, and the presumption in 
either case would be that the ko has scope over the entire compound bridi.

However, missing the context that led to the current example, one should 
not being using a logical connective to express this room/park conditional, 
because there is time-order or causality involved. The room being cleaned 
may be necessary, sufficient, preceding, or causally determining whether 
the child goes to the park; the two clauses do not in fact have independent 
truth values as is necessary to use logical connectives.

lojbab
--
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org