Subject: Re: [lojban] Predicate logic and childhood.

From: Robin Lee Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 14:48:02 -0700

On Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 05:36:31PM -0400, Bob LeChevalier (lojbab) wrote:
> At 02:00 PM 04/30/2001 -0700, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
> >On Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 03:53:18PM -0400, Rob Speer wrote:
> > > Okay, I should have looked a little harder. Your C does have a 'ko' in it.
> >
> >Correct. Note that either ko binding stops at the .ijo, or jbofi'e has
> >a bug in it.
> 
> I believe that variable binding must continue across an .ijo boundary
> because such a sentence pair can in theory be re-expressed as a single
> sentence having identical meaning (subject to some special rules for
> negation and the like), using gi'o or using go...gi, and the
> presumption in either case would be that the ko has scope over the
> entire compound bridi.

Why?

Once again, either your wrong or jbofi'e has a bug:

go ko viska gi cusku
(0[go {ko viska} gi cusku])0

And I see no indication of such scoping in the grammar, but that proves
very little.

Note that, IMO, you're moving the definitions in the wrong direction.
IIRC, go...gi is _defined_ as a shortform for a two sentence connective.

> However, missing the context that led to the current example, one
> should not being using a logical connective to express this room/park
> conditional, because there is time-order or causality involved. The
> room being cleaned may be necessary, sufficient, preceding, or
> causally determining whether the child goes to the park; the two
> clauses do not in fact have independent truth values as is necessary
> to use logical connectives.

I disagree, because whether the child cleans eir room and whether the
parent gives permission to go to the park are independent by default,
but assuming you're right.

Two questions, then:

1. What's the point of allowing things like .ijobabo?

2. What is the use of conditionals other than .e?

-Robin

-- 
http://www.digitalkingdom.org/~rlpowell/ BTW, I'm male, honest.
le datni cu djica le nu zifre .iku'i .oi le so'e datni cu to'e te pilno
je xlali -- RLP http://www.lojban.org/